The Museum of the Ghetto Fighters’ House is the first Holocaust Museum in the world. It was established by the founders of Kibbutz Lohamei Haghetaot (the Ghetto Fighters’ Kibbutz), who are all Holocaust survivors. Among the founders were rebels who had fought in the Warsaw Ghetto Uprising, individuals who fought with the Partisan units in the forests of Europe, concentration camp survivors, individuals who had assumed a fake identity and spent the Holocaust in hiding, and refugees who had initially escaped to countries in the USSR.
The Museum tells the story of the Jewish Holocaust in Europe during World War II, when approximately 6,000,000 Jews were assassinated by the Nazis and their supporters. The Museum celebrates heroic feats, victories of the human spirit and, specifically, the ability of Holocaust survivors and ghetto fighters to recover and lead a full life in Israel, the land of their dreams.
Up-to-date technologies and a variety of means are used to bring to life some of the personal stories that demonstrate the heroic determination of the Jews in the Holocaust. An art gallery houses the Museum’s collection, which includes 3000 works of art created during the Holocaust. Adjacent to the museum is the Children’s Wing, which focuses on children’s experiences during the Holocaust.
Just outside the Museum one can see the impressive remnants of an aqueduct, built in 1814 by the Turkish governor, Suleiman Pasha, to transport water from the springs of nearby Cabri to the city of Acre.