More formally known as Ganei Yehoshua (Yehoshua Gardens, named in honor of the mayor of Tel Aviv in the years 1969-1974), the Yarkon Park in northern Tel Aviv encompasses a sprawling area of 3500 dunam (equivalent to ¼ acre), adjacent to the Yarkon stream.
The idea for the park was first raised in 1929, when Tel Aviv’s first mayor, Mayor Dizengoff, was in office; however, it wasn’t until 1950 that the actual preparations began.
Nowadays the park is considered the green lung of the large metropolitan area of Tel Aviv. On weekends and holidays, the Park lawns serve fill with tens of thousands of people who find it a desirable recreation spot. A long path that traverses the Park along the northern bank of the Yarkon stream attracts walkers and joggers. The park houses a center for rowing and sailing, several sports courts, a wall climbing structure, as well as an artificial lake with rowboats. There is also a concert venue that accommodates thousands of spectators, where Tel Aviv hosts live performances by local and international musicians. Within the park area, you will find also a cacti garden, a tropical garden and a rock garden. In addition, there are two memorial gardens, one honoring citizens of Tel Aviv who were victims of terror attacks and another dedicated to Tel Aviv citizens killed in Israel’s wars.