Neve Tzedek was established in 1887, about 20 years before the creation of Tel Aviv, and was the first Jewish settlement outside of Jaffa. It evolved into an artist haven and was quite the bustling little area. With the creation of Tel Aviv, people started to move to the “big city”, and Neve Tzedek began to decline. At one point, there were plans to demolish much of the neighborhood.
The Neve Tzedek of today is home to many museums, cafes, boutiques and art galleries.
The central square of Neve Tzedek is the Suzanne Dellal Dance Center. This center hosts concerts, dance, plays, etc. Notice that the square was designed as a traditional orchard with orange trees and little water canals used to irrigate the trees before modern sprinklers were invented.