Kababir is a neighborhood in Haifa which began as a village and is now integrated among Jewish neighborhoods on the Carmel and is identified with the Ahmadi sect. The village was first settled in 1850 by members of the Ouda family, a father and his five children who migrated from the village of Na’alin in Samaria to a cave on the Carmel in order to avoid being inducted into the Ottoman army.
In 1924, the Khalif Mirza Bashir-ud-Din Mahmud Ahmad, the son of the founder of the Ahmadis, Mirza Ghulam Ahmad al-Qadiani arrived in Haifa. The Ahmadiyya is a Muslim faction which was founded in India and which advocates enlightenment, peace and altruism while completely negating violence in Jihad. At the age of 40, the founder of the Ahmadiyya proclaimed that Muhammad had appointed him to renew the Muslim religion and to impose justice and honesty on the world. Against this backdrop, the followers of the faction were considered heretics to Islam.
The members of the Ouda family prayed in the mosque located in downtown Haifa where they met the son of the founder of the Ahmadiyya and they decided to join the sect. Four years later, in 1928, the “center of the Ahmadiyya delegation to the Middle East” was transferred from Damascus to Kakabir.
In 1934, the first mosque was established in Kakabir, but the present mosque was built at this location in 1979. The mosque has two minarets reaching a height of 35 meters which can be seen from afar, and it is an octagon, like the Dome of the Rock in Jerusalem. On the wall at the entrance to the mosque, the following words greet the visitor: “All who remain here will be safe”